RUES Hotel Selection
|Second Pioneer Project: Integrated
Environmental Hotel and Tourism Curriculum in Mexico: Implemented
at ITESM (Technical Institute of Superior Studies Monterey) for the Hotel
and Tourism Study Programs - 9 Semester - at Campus Mazatlan, Sinaloa,
Mexico, 1993 - 1994
I. Objectives of second project toward "Education"
1) Hotel and Tourism School Curriculum:1.1) To implement courses of two related topics: a) Eco Tourism. b) Eco Hotel Management and Marketing. Both courses were based on the dual system: Theoretical and practical formations.
Mix of integrated studies (mix can vary according the particular case study):
Theory: 30 - 40%. Practice: 60 - 70%.
Eco Tourism: 2 semester
Integrated Eco-Hotel Management and Marketing 4 semesters
Both topics should be given, one at the
beginning and one at the end of the study program.
The case studies should follow a " Problem solving - control system" of: Problem identification. Analysis. Goal Setting. Training. Implementation. Monitoring. and Correcting.
One case study per course: Students
active participation in these case studies motivate their interest and
their application in the process of studies.
2) Continuous Education Programs
for Hotel and Tourism Professionals:
The methodology: a combination of theory and practice, as that of the integrated school programs.
The programs were structured to the
particular needs and interests of groups of professionals: Management,
Supervisors, and staff levels.
The programs and/or seminars lasted from 1 day to 6 weeks, including site visits and field analysis ( for programs of more than 1 week).
3) Course Topic: Eco Tourism. (Following only one topic example shall be presented. For each topic a detailed "course outline" was drawn)
Case studies and analysis of positive tourism developments: Bermuda, Bavaria, and Singapore among others. And negative tourism developments: Costa Brava, Spain and Hurghada, Egypt, among others.
3.3) To develop an awareness of Mexico?s and Mazatlans great and diversified resources of Eco Tourism: Nature, Culture, and History.
3.4) To develop an
awareness of "Integrated and Visionary Marketing Strategies"of
all the hotels in the region linked with all tourism destinations and
attractions in the area as "One Destination". With the
participation - joining efforts - of the hotels, service providers, hotel
schools and all related businesses and sectors, private and government.
Eco Tourism its role in the conservation of the environment. (Eberhardt H. Rues, 1992)
Eco Tourism projects - design and
development- for Mazatlan and Mexico. - (Eberhardt H. Rues 1993)
I. Benefits of the second project toward "Education"
1) Environmental Consciousness Raising through the participation of Educational Institutions as in the case of ITESM, Campus Mazatlan, achieved multiple benefits:
2) The practical and theoretical
involvement toward environmental preservation of the students at the
early stage of their professional career; as well of the industry
professionals result in: Greater enthusiasm, better understanding of the
real problems and a participative problem solving attitude.
3) The "Mazatlan Three
Islands - National Reserve Project" the pioneer project of ITESMs
Hotel and Tourism students practical on site involvement, in 1993 and
1994. Achieved its primary objectives: The Bird Island (one of the three
islands) the local habitat of the: Brown pelicans and pichichin ducks
both were species in extinction - was closed to tourists as of mid
1993. After a visit in January 1997 both species have multiplied three
Any institution, hotel and business who gets involved in the "Universal Responsibility of Preservation" exercises Social Responsibility and consequently increases its "Prestige".
Prestige in all institutions and businesses is a vital part of maintaining a "Leadership Position."
5) Environmental text and guide books (in Spanish) for the hospitality industry in Latin America in the early 1990's strengthened the importance of the industry, because the "Backbone of the Tourism Industry is the Hotel Industry" on one side. And on the other side it raised the awareness of "Participative Planning, Design and Development" of all tourism related businesses of all sectors: private and public is paramount in both educational programs and responsible tourism development.
Eberhardt H. Rues - Founder and President